let's watch a competent person play undertale
(Unlike basically any other possible statement about Undertale, this one is pretty spoiler-light, although watching the video and/or reading the comments at the link will turn up plenty of spoilers.)
I'm watching a world record speedrun of Undertale and holy shit this guy is good. You know the impossible fight where your opponent keeps resurrecting you after you inevitably die? He doesn't die. He just... dodges... everything... and he doesn't die at all. He even says that that fight is easy.
He's also fought the first final boss of the neutral ending eighty-something times, so, clearly, He Has Done This Before. But even so, I don't understand how anyone could stroll through the second final boss without dying or even really worrying about dying.
Oh, and he hasn't saved since the Ruins. At all. It's been forty-five minutes (of walking and glitching past boss fights, mostly) and he hasn't saved.
I have a feeling he's not going to have an especially bad time.

no subject
HE IS NOT DOING BADLY
also in the first six hours he presses a key, on average, five times per second. peak keypress is 50 in one second. 50 key presses, in a single second. and all this time he's saying "i'm so bad at button mashing" DUDE
DUDE
YOU PRESSED FIVE KEYS PER SECOND FOR SIX HOURS
YOU ARE
NOT
BAD
AT BUTTON MASHING
And he doesn't like Alphys :( I mean I get it she's sorta... dislikeable, in multiple dimensions if we're being honest, but :( :(
no subject
Anyway, the punch card glitch is: Using the punch card and some extremely precise timing, one can move the player character on the main map during cutscenes, even though this is supposed to be impossible.
The reason it works is: Activating the punch card causes a very short cutscene that freezes and unfreezes the player. Even if this happens during another cutscene that also froze the player, the punch card cutscene ending unfreezes them.
I call it a minor bug because it barely ever comes up. You can't access your inventory during cutscenes, so you have to access your inventory right before the cutscene you want to skip, such that the cutscene you want to skip starts before the punch card activation cutscene finishes loading. I think the time window is about 0.02 seconds, though it could be a little longer. (He says it takes "one frame," and I'm assuming it's 50 frames per second = 0.02 seconds; 50 f/p/s is on the low end for a movie but I'm not sure how it ranks among video games.)
Casual players are highly unlikely to be going around activating the punch card in random areas of the game in the first place, and then even more highly unlikely to hit the window. Most competitive players aren't going to be able to swing it; you need to know *exactly* where every cutscene starts, and then also have a reaction time that beggars belief. Even top level competitors have to *work* for it. This is a world record speedrun, and the speedrunner only manages it about 90% of the time, with obvious effort.
no subject
no subject
"Genocide's not even really all that different from True Pacifist or Neutral. You just kill everything, and at the end, everything's dead."
Chills down my spine at this deadly competent man.
no subject
"All you've got to do to make it thirty hours is keep going. It's not that bad. Just don't stop and you'll get there. That's really all there is to it. That's all it takes."
no subject
"I don't understand. What am I supposed to do? I'm confused."
no subject
"And that is why Papyrus is, in fact, the hardest boss in the whole game."